Sunday, October 12, 2008

Taking a Tour of Chongqing University (重庆大学)

(main entrance to the university)
(Mao of course)
(Lily pond, it is in bloom in summer)
(a view of the river from the university)
(art department building)


Chinese friend gave me a tour of the local university today, which is located along one of the rivers that come through the city. We didn't talk much about the university, we discussed our favorite school subjects and things we wanted to do when we got older. I would occasionally inquire about a building and what its purpose is etc.

The weather today was overcast and a little rainy! My kind of weather! Chongqing is known as one of the three furnaces in China (the others are Nanjing, and Wuhan). So it was a welcome break. This is the beginning of the short Autumn then comes a long winter, short spring, and summer again!

While we were walking I asked my friend about Chinese literature and famous authors. One I asked about in particular was Lu Xun who she said was known to speak out for the people and for revolutionary things. This author's work was praised during The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution unlike many other chinese author's works (much of which were banned). I confronted my friend about this and asked if this was right or not. All she could say was "At the time other works were not acceptable to the people." I find that very interesting!

Also of course there was a statue of Mao Zedong in the university, but it was an ugly brown.

No comments: