Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Poem Recitation

There was supposed to be a video of me and five other classmates all reciting different stanzas of a poem..but unfortunately the internet is too slow to upload it here. I will have to upload it later!

This was a contest between all the different classes in the 高一 (Gao-ee, freshmen level). It took place in one of the smaller auditoriums at our school. It could only fit 900 people? I was so nervous! I had to say my part first, and also our class' group was the first to perform! I was the VERY FIRST. Waahh. After I said three lines the whole auditorium errupted in clapping, I couldn't help but laugh. I knew that they were amazed a foreigner could speak Chinese. On stage I wore the school's uniform, black pants, and a white colared shirt (which odly you are not allowed to tuck in).

This perfomance was performed by classmates selected by my class. I think that this poem was written by the group of students who I performed with. They gave me the poem to go over two days ago. I memorized the first one..but I decided to read it anyway because I didn't want to mess up on the intonation or the second verse. To me this poem sounded like a sappy love poem...but only now do I realize that the whole performance is a dialogue between a child and his/her mother taking place as the mom goes up to heaven after the Sichuan Earthquake. I feel stupid because I didn't know I had to put emotion into it! Whoops! Many people cried during the performance...now I see why.

The first time I heard them recite the poem I thought it was so strange that they were over acting and being dramatic! After the performance my AFS coordinator told me that when Chinese people recite poems they really put all of their feeling into it. It's more of a small play than a recitation! I like this because there aren't any drama programs in my school....or any other schools for that matter!


Many of the lines are (mother to child) "Don't be scared my child, mother will walk with you!" and "Mother, the road is too dark I can't see! Please take my hand!" while the mother responds with something along the lines of "Mother feels tired, I can't go on! I will always be with you my child!" etc. etc. Actually the mom is really screaming "I feel tired, oh, I can't relax! I can't relax!" But I think the other translation is better.


My classmates sent me text messages congratulating me on my performance, but now that I see it...it didn't look very good at all :(


My classmates think we will win first prize! ...Is it because of the quality of the performance...or because of the foreigner?

[LATER: (The day after the performance) The Chinese literature teacher took the performers from our class out to Hot Pot (the local speciality) during lunch because our class won first prize! Everyone in my class likes me now hahaha!]

No comments: