Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chinese Class at a Foreign Language High School

(mottos of the Sichuan Foreign Language High School)
(Our Chinese teacher for the afternoon, this was taken before the power failed)
(rubbish house in front of the school)

Yesterday our AFS coordinator decided to take us on a little field trip to our friends' school. We were all delighted to be able to be doing something out of the weekly routine of Chinese class. Except this school was very dirty and probably not earthquake proof. I definitely felt fortunate to be attending my school rather than the Sichuan Foreign Language High School. Especially after the power went out in our whole building during class. Whcih supposedly happens all the time there. However! The students were a lot more friendly and spoke much better English than the ones at my school. They also seemed more relaxed. I think this is because Sichuan Foreign Language High School isn't considered an "elite" school by the government...so they don't make their students go insane with examinations and homework. But students from elite schools would look down on these students. And probably tease them to no end. Teasing here is butal, and ignored by adults.


In fornt of the school gate there are several noisy construction sites, and a house loaded with trash. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures. I think this is a designated area where all the street cleaners dump their garbage and it gets sorted.


When our class was over our teachers left us alone to get transport back home. We all opted for 10 minute taxi rides rather than 1 hour bus rides. Except no taxi would take us! I would tell them in pretty good Chinese (if I do say so myself) the name of the district and location of the internet cafe we wanted to go to, and then they'd simply say "Oh sorry I am getting off work now!" and then I'd say "That's a lie! If you were getting off work why did you ask me where I wanted to go?!" After I said this I would close the door because the taxi driver was in a state of disbelief that a foreigner just told him off. A redheaded devil at that!


Finally we found a taxi that would take us. It turned out he needed to head back to our district anyway because that's where he was based out of!

No comments: