Sunday, October 19, 2008

Foreigner Street 洋人街

(where we ate lunch, we had chinese barbeque which is served on a stick)
(yes, you can get married here)
(cafe place)
(Egypt?)
(this made me laugh so hard, the sign should say Park...the front entrance says park...but this one says Pack! I have no idea what a Non-Topic park is either. It says the direct translation in Chinese so it wasn't mistranslated)
(this area was called San Fransisco Flower Street)



In America we have China Town. In China they have a strange equivalent called "Yang Ren Jie" which can literally be translated to "Vast People Street." It was foreign alright, I mean foreign to me. There were no foreigners there at all (I didn't expect there to be actually)! The place is more like a theme park than a street. There are buildings that are "replicas" of different places. But I didn't recognize anything except for a reproduction of the New York skyline. Most of the food served was carnival food, or Chinese food.


I didn't like the place very much...because I had this feeling that the Chinese people around me would see me and think "Oh a foreigner is here? Then this must be like his home!" Even when my I came home my host brother asked if it was nice to see a street that has buildings similar to America! I explained to him that it was nothing like America! He then said "Well then it is probably like other countries, maybe France or Germany..."


After about one hour my Brazlian friend and I left. We couldn't take it anymore. I don't know why but this was teh first Chinese thing that I really had extreme culture shock with and couldn't stand. This place is not very important in terms of daily life so I decided not to waste my Saturday any further and go back home.


The reason we were there in the first place was because of my Chinese friend's birthday. I like my friend...I just didn't like where he chose to have his birthday. My Brazilian friend and I politely excused ourselves and hailed the nearest cab!




No comments: