Monday, December 8, 2008

合唱比赛 Singing Competition

Yesterday I finally participated in our school's singing competition for all students in 高一 (gao-ee, freshmen year). The reason I say finally is because my class has been making me practice for so long! And now I was finally able to sing in front of 1000 other students for them! In total there are 1000 Freshmen. The song I sang in front of all those people was the School Anthem. Which is specifically about our school, not just some all encompassing school song written for every academic institute in China, but our song. Naturally the students and staff are very proud of it.



When I "mounted the stage" (the way to say walked on stage in Chinese) my nerves suddenly hit me. What if my voice cracked? Or I vomitted on stage in front of everyone (ruining my new sweater)? Everyone was looking at me!

The music began with a piano and march-like introduction. Then the first lines "Jade Green Happy Song Mountain, Flowing Jialing River!" were sung by me! Followed by the next two lines which were sung by my classmates "Our schoooool, Our schoooool!" My next and last solo line was "At this center of beautiful scenery!"

I just know I sung awfully. When the song was finished I hastefully left, after a formal bow of course. However there was some kind of problem and the school song played again cuasing me to hesitate and stumble as I went behind the curtain. Embarrassing! I was hopeful that the crowd would be distracted by my class's singing and not look at me. I was wrong.

The results of the singing competition still haven't been released even though two days have passed since then.

Today my classmates have invited me to participate in a DANCING competition for new year's!
How can I refuse? I wish that my school had these sorts of obligatory competitions, it would make things a bit more livelier than they already are, and it would also be very entertaining!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at the dancing competition...

CAP

Kurtis & mom said...

How about belting out a rendition of Amazing Grace??? Or better, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer!!