Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Crazy Schedule! 疯子

Next month is going to be a whirlwind of a month...here is the schedule:

Dec. 28th return from Shanghai
Jan. 5th Fly to Kunming for Yunnan Province Trip
Jan. 11th Return to Chongqing
Jan. 18th Fly to Beijing with AFS teacher for a sightseeing trip
Jan. 22/23rd Return Home
Jan. 25th Chinese New Year's Eve
Feb. 1st Leave off for Macau (via Hong Kong or Shenzhen)
Feb. 10th Return to Chongqing

I am very excited! So much to do and see in China! This month (it's sort of a month) is bound to be jam-packed with adventure and fun. I am eager to celebrate the Spring Festival (a.k.a. Chinese New Year) which is as important to the Chinese as Christmas is important to some Westerners.

Recently my mood has been a lot better. I am now used to my family not being around. The only one who takes care of me is my beloved host grandmother! I think we have gotten really close just living in the same house together. She is making sausages by hand in the kitchen as I write this.

These days I have been hanging around in a coffee shop adjacent to a bookstore after school. I used to just go to the internet cafe after school, but now I have discovered the magical beverage that is coffee! Coffee and books are the recipe for ultimate procrastination! Lately I have been late. Late for many things because of books and coffee. It's not my fault that coffee shops provide big glossy magazines for me to enjoy! I have to enjoy all of them (otherwise I forget which ones I have looked at), rip out the pages I like (no, no I don't do that!) and then leave.

Another fatal addiction that China has to offer: cheap DVDs. Usually found in the back of stationary stores or magazine shops (not magazine stands mind you). Only 10 yuan ($1.40) for one DVD! And my favorite store has a good selection of Independent films, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, American, and European films. The storekeeper has seen me so often that she has started to take custom orders from me! I also have found that my ability to speak Chinese charms people. I don't do it on purpose. I guess the fact that a 17 year old, strawberry blonde, blue eyed, American can speak conversational Chinese is an astonishment to them.
(Personally I think that my Chinese needs more improvement especially when it comes to the intonations of the words).

4 comments:

Steve Thompson said...

Art - glad you are having fun, but don't get addicted to caffeine. Take it from an addict, you don't want that.

Chinese Redhead said...

haha okay I won't dad :)

Teresa B said...

Arthur - I really enjoy reading about all your adventures! I can't believe that you are the same boy who used to come to my house and play with Amanda.

Chinese Redhead said...

Aww thank you!
I hope you all have an amazing Christmas! I was so happy to hear that you are reading my blog!
A new post will be coming shortly! :)