Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Shanghai

Possibly one of the most unique (I know that it is impossible for something to be more unique than something else) Christmases I will ever have! My German friend Theo and his host family was gracious enough to host it! (And for some stupid reason I didn't bring my camera, if I get pictures from someone else I will post them.)

We celebrated Christmas the European/Catholic way: on Christmas Eve night. In day prior to the festivities, Clara (Italian), Alida (Swiss), Jesus (American), and I went to "the fake market" to do our last last last minute Christmas shopping. "The fake market" is a wonderful indoor mall where you can find cheap and/or convincing knock-offs of anything and everything!

In the evening everyone brought/made food from their own country. When we sat down at the table everyone took turns telling about how Christmas is done in their own family/country.
After that we went downstairs to the basement with our hot cocoa, we talked and played truth or dare. 12am arrived and we opened our small gifts! I got a scarf and a laser pointer clock!
We didn't fall asleep until 5:30am, and then we awoke at 11am. A few of us rode bikes to the nearby Tesco to get some Nutella for breakfast crepes! Yum!

It wasn't a conventional Christmas but it was a jolly one!

1 comment:

Kurtis & mom said...

Happy new year Arthur, the weather here turned sunny, hit 81 in Torrance today, and tonight, only 50. Your pics are fab, got any of the inside of the house?