Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lamma Island 南丫島

(Flags on the pier, as well as fellow tourists.)

(Boats in the harbor near the pier.)


("Creek" between houses and restaurants on the main street through Lamma.)



(Postage on the way towards town from the ferry.)

(The main harbor, yes that is a power plant. I think it is hydro-electric though. Sort of a reminder that you are still in China.)
(Main street.)
(Handwritten menu of the restaurant where we ate.)
(Vege.)

(Fruit.)
(Coke machine near a curio shop.)
(Roadside shrine on the way to the beach.)

(Part of the walk to the beach.)
(No cars are allowed on this island. Only small tractors. 6000 people live on the island.)
(I really love signs like this in Hong Kong. This style of lettering really gets me! This restaurant was on the way to the beach.)

(Big flat leaves, also on the way to the beach.)

(And finally we arrive at the beach. There is an old Francophone with his granddaughter playing in the water. We rode the same ferry.)
(Our cicada friend that frightened us at first. The noise was really loud at first, it startled Baddi and I. Then we got up from the table and looked around only to find it here!)
(A fellow table-sitter.)
(Leaving the beach, a white wall around some one's property.)
(This is what some of the houses look like on Lamma.)
(The main harbor by the ferry.)
All I have to say about this place is wow. Nam'a Doh (means "South Forked Island") is a really interesting, not to mention relaxing place. The weather was wonderful and the water looked so clean! I don't think my Icelandic friend Baddi agreed about the clean water part, but I am used to dark green water so to me the semi-clear blue water was good enough.
The weather that day was warm and humid. After we got off the boat we walked down the main drag of the island, past several seafood restaurants and a small post office. Baddi and I were both starving and on a budget so we settled for a slightly cheaper noodle place off the beach. We had Shanghai noodles, funnily enough the island's specialty is seafood but neither Baddi nor I likes seafood. along with my wonderful Shanghai noodles I had a lemon coke, which I have only had in Hong Kong (and nowhere else in China as that sentence already implies).
After paying the bill we sauntered on down towards the nearest beach (25 minutes away). I was seriously regretting not bringing sun screen. When we arrived I retreated to the coke machine and then on to the shade. The beach was so clean, and the changing facilities, bathrooms, and lifeguard station were really tidy. Baddi and I sat on a bench under a tree and commenced our people watching. The beach was fairly empty. Most of the people there were foreign. Some French and some Americans. The rest were Chinese. In total this may have been 12 people.
Our presence was later graced by a big cicada. Looking back on it we should have named him...but we didn't alas.
On the way to and from the beach we were surrounded by foliage. Green green green foliage! It was lovely. Occasionally we passed a house or two. Maybe even a Filipino maid getting after her mischievous western charge. We passed that sort of thing twice actually. There is an international elementary school on the island, so there are westerners about.
It was a sad thing to leave this place, I think Baddi and I both enjoyed it. Vowing several times that we must move here when we are older. We could be neighbors! I suggested to Baddi that he spread Icelandic by opening an Icelandic International school on the island. He thought that was amusing.
At the end of the day we paid our fare and boarded the ferry to head back to the wonderful hustle and bustle that is the city of Hong Kong.

No comments: